Thursday, September 5, 2013

Journalism as a Conversation


Caroline Glaser
cg112210@ohio.edu

In the book The Elements of Journalism, Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel talk about what journalism actually is and what is the purpose for it. They took a step back and thoroughly searched for the answer to such a simple question. Their answer was clear; the purpose of journalism was to inform the public and allow people to express their voice that was given to them through the Bill of Rights. The main message in their book is that journalism creates networks and communities. Journalism is what was brining people together in coffee houses and restaurants years ago, and it has evolved and continued to do so today.

Is journalism a dying age?

I disagree completely with people that say journalism is a dying field because, as Kovach and Rosenstiel said in their book, conversations have been centered around journalism for several generations. People are always talking about the latest news they read or what they saw posted on the Internet. Without journalists to publish such information people would lack the ability to have these conversations. In a way journalist play a vital role in social gatherings as an invisible third party. However, I do think times are changing and as technology continues to advance things will change and certain aspects of journalism may die out but not journalism as a whole.

Why was journalism the road I chose to follow?

For me it was easy, I always liked being the one to tell everyone the latest story or the breaking news. I would always strive to be the first to tell people stories and loved watching their reaction. Also, growing up I was never one to just do or dress as people told me to; I always liked to add my spin or twist to what was taking place. I am free to speak my mind, write what I want and express my personality through my work. It was a simple choice for me because journalism allows me to be myself and not conform to what people tell me to do. This was a major that did not glue me to a small dark cubicle with only a desk and a chair; instead my office space is the entire world.

Our mission as journalist

As journalists, we have to realize that our content is what people around the world are reading. What we post on our own social media networks reflect us as a person, and we have to realize that people everywhere are reading and looking at what we post and write. Whitney Isleib, a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader, posted a picture on Facebook of her Halloween costume, which later caused an outrage on the topic of racism. She had no intent to offend people, but through what she posted people around the world changed the way they viewed her. There will be people who do not agree with what we post, and that is life, but we have to try and be aware of the potential outcome that could come from what we post. With that being said, we have the responsibility to produce creditable and ethical information.We have to be sure the information we gather is correct before informing the public. It is cases like when KTVU released false racist names during an evening newscast that we must avoid.

We are the future journalists who now must carry on the work of all previous journalists. We must take it to a new level and keep the conversation going. We must accept and adapt to the new changes and create bigger and better ways to spread the news. I have officially started to embark on that journey by choosing to attend Ohio University be a part of the amazing Scripps School of Journalism legacy. The torch has been passed on to us, and we will keep the fire burning no matter how many people believe our field is dying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment